So I took Isabel to UNC Children's Hospital's Raleigh clinic to meet with our gastroenterologist's nurse practioner and I was shocked and just so crushed that she was only 25.4lbs and 92.6cm...where as in April she was 25lbs 7.2oz and 91cm. So I think that means she's actually lost a tiny bit of weight....which was really disappointing.
The nurse practitioner consulted with her real doctor who recommended we definitely do an upper endoscopy. It's been over a year that we've been working with UNC Hospital and they said that an endoscopy was kind of like a last resort...we've already run all the tests, genetic and otherwise and have come up with no clear answers as to her lack of growth. I definitely got the feeling that the nurse practioner and doctor felt like we were there at the last resort option.
When they do the endoscopy, they will be biopsying to see if she has "Eosinophilic esophagitis" or "Eosinophilic gastritis", or just reflux. You can read up on Eosinophilic Esophagitis here. From what I understand, it is kind of like your esophagus has an allergic reaction to certain foods. I don't know if it's worth writing up everything I've read about it since we don't even know if she has this, but that is what they are suspecting and will be ruling out with an upper endoscopy.
Another link
And One Last Eosinophilic Esophagitis Link
I'll definitely keep you posted once this procedure is scheduled so that you can PRAY for us. It is a procedure where she is put completely under (intubated), and lasts for under an hour. She was a complete angel at the appointment though and used her manners impeccably! All the nurses were very impressed with her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment