"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Endoscopy Update

So Isabel had an upper endoscopy on 12/10/09, last Thursday.  It was performed at UNC Children's Hospital in Chapel Hill.  They put her under general anesthesia and she had no complications.  The doctors allowed me to go back with her initially while they put her under a "twilight" anesthesia with the gas.  It was difficult to watch, but they warned me that children her age (3 1/2) would fight the anesthesia and kick, flail their bodies and thrash their head.  She did all of those before it took effect and she was under.  Then a nurse took my hand and led me back to Rob and they gave her an IV and intubated her while she was put under general anesthesia.  It took about 40 minutes I think before the doctor came out and called us into a consultation room. 

They found a "nodule in her stomach" which the doctor biopsied and said he was not concerned about.  And they found that her esophagus was "narrowed at the top".  The second finding will need further tests to determine why her esophagus is narrowed...is there something pushing against it?, etc.

I was too busy worrying about how she was doing in recovery to think about asking any other questions.  They will let us know the results of the biopsies and bloodwork by Thursday, 12/17/09. 

I got to go to the recovery room where Isabel was pretty grumpy and very "out of it"....tired, a little disoriented, upset that there was an IV in her arm and it was all taped and bandaged up.  She drank some juice and dozed off and on for about 30 minutes and then I got her dressed and we were ready to go.  Once we got into the car she seemed to become more herself and no longer seemed as tired or upset.

I gave her a wrapped present to open (Littlest Pet Shop birds) since her procedure was kind of a big deal for a 3 year old, and she was delighted.  Once we got home it was so late that I didn't feel like I could put her down for a nap, so she watched a movie on the couch and ate different foods without any discomfort to her throat.

Trying to leave it all in God's hands.  Hoping the biopsy results will help lead us in the right direction in regards to knowing how to get her to pack on some pounds and grow more.

No comments: