This week I had planned for her to attend our first homeschool field trip with ARCH to Marbles Children's Museum to attend a Dollars & Sense presentation. So I figured we had better at least learn our coins! She has played with coins before, but it's been a long time since we reviewed their names, much less their value.
This was my plan for teaching money:
1. Identify the coins by: hands-on exploration, coloring a picture of each, discuss the color, size, etc. of each, sort them, and make a mini coin book using coin rubbings and tracing their names.
2. Learn the value of coins: okay, we are not there yet! ;)
Here is what we DID do:
I put out a basket containing the four main U.S. coins: penny, nickel, dime and quarter in order of their value, and with a magnifying glass to examine them. We looked at them together and I asked her to describe their characteristics. We noted they had different faces, different pictures on the back, she was very interested in finding the different dates, different color, size, etc.
She completed a coin worksheet which she colored and we named the coins...for this she matched up the actual coin to the picture.
The following day we did coin name traceables and these three part cards I made for the four coins. I was really bummed that I neglected to notice that the font I used to make these was very confusing when it got to "p" and q"....argh! That made it a little harder for her and I could tell she got a little frustrated when the "q" didn't look like the one she was used to seeing!
We completed penny counting: 11-20 (object to number correspondence).
She graphed a bag of coins I gave her, by using some homemade coin stampers. (Sadly these stampers did not give any detail regardless of whether I used an inkpad or paint)...but she had a different color for each coin, and they were different sizes since they were real coins.
On Friday we went to the Dollars & Sense class where they discussed where money comes from, where people keep money, wants vs. needs, and goods vs. services. I was surprised that even though it was geared to Kindergarten through Third Grade, she was able to come home with quite a bit of info that she understood to a degree! Funny side story: the day prior, we were shopping in Target and I was explaining "wants" and "needs" to her, and I thought she was understanding until she looked me in the eye on the toy aisle and said, "But Mommy I neeeeeeed this doll." LOL! Anyway, she got to volunteer at the Dollars & Sense presentation and she was so proud of herself. Afterward we played in the museum for a few hours before heading home.
Other activities this week included: ballet class, tracing practice (her trouble letters) p, q, r, s, t (s and t are soo much better this week!), reviewed sound book, reviewed the blended sounds from last week and played a matching game, dry erase numbers 1-10, library storytime, birthday dinner for a neighborhood friend, Who Am I? Faith lesson on sin and wrong choices...I enjoyed this lesson, because I took a hand mirror and dusted it with baby powder...we talked about how we are made in God's image, but it's hard to be a clear image of God when we sin...just like when we try to see our image in the dirty mirror...we don't see it very clearly. Asking for forgiveness from God cleans off our "mirror", and Iz loved spraying windex on the mirror and wiping it clean!
Finally to end our week we attended Christian Youth Theater's performance of Cinderella last night. It lasted from 7:30pm to about 10pm!!! Woah...and even though we got there at about 7pm, Rob and I had to sit separately (with Isabel on my lap!!) because it was just packed! She enjoyed it though and I really loved the spiritual twist that was put on the classic tail! AND, the place was packed with homeschoolers! Very exciting for us! The atmosphere was just awesome in terms of friendly people (we didn't even get any groans when Iz and my pregnant belly had to crawl over about 7 people to get to the one seat in the middle of the row that was vacant!) We will definitely be attending their performances in the future....just making sure to arrive much earlier!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment