1/10-1/14/2011
It was time to jump back in and finish up the last two letters of our Letter of the Week "curriculum"....I say "curriculum" in quotation marks because I just ended up piecing activities together that I found here and there.
We made our Y out of yarn!
I created a yellow sensory tub which she eagerly excavated!
This really had nothing to do with the letter Y, but I found the color wheel activity off of Mama Jenn's blog and thought Isabel would just love it...she really likes the fine motor eye-dropper activities. It's just dropping one drop of red blue or yellow to match the colors, then using a toothpick to stir the colors together in each circle, and finally placing a paper towel over your colors to absorb the colors!
Below, I made my own three part cards for Isabel to try using "Y words". What are three part cards? I first discovered them when working at a Montessori school several years ago. The child gets to match picture to picture, then word to word, and it helps them learn visual discrimination and build up their vocabulary! Iz really liked this, I think in part because it was something new, and I think she felt pretty accomplished in being able to look at the words and decide if they matched or not. My only frustration (in hindsight) is that I didn't print out the words in a bigger font!
Also not a "Y" activity, but she rhymed every single one of her rhyming cards this week! I only put half the cards on the shelf at any given time (rotating them out), but this week she asked if she could try all of them at once! And....wallah!
Here are some of our Y words for the week:
We also worked on a Y tracing worksheet, which she was quite frustrated with. Between capital and lowercase Y she just does not have an easy time yet. She practiced tracing out Y in the sand tray, colored in a "find the hidden Y" worksheet, and worked on a "which word begins with Y" worksheet as well. We measured each other with a yardstick, and that was about it for Y week.
Y words that I thought of: yak, yodel, year, yesterday, yarn, young, yellow, you, yam, yo-yo, yogurt, yawn, yellow jacket, yolk, yacht, yell, yardstick, yes
No comments:
Post a Comment