"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Sunday, June 30, 2013

End of June 2013 Garden Pics

Here is the garden at the very end of June.  I put straw around the tomatoes and the chickens came and kicked it all around. :(  Will have to rethink the straw idea.  After a storm (that I wasn't very impressed with) the other day, all of our tomato plants were blown over and it had even pulled up the stakes to which they are tied!  I guess since it's been raining every day and the ground is so saturated the poles just wouldn't stick.  So we had to put some homemade cages around a few of them and the rest I reinforced today.
 
 
Tomatoes to our late cucumbers, to the okra that has little okras on it, to Mr. P's sweet corn.  The sweet corn has started being attacked nightly by some predators.  We think raccoons, but maybe rats?  No evidence of who the villain is from the trail cam.  We have set a live trap to see if we can catch him, but I also redid our scarecrow and added some sparkly, moving party favor type things to some sticks set up around the corn.  Hopefully this will be enough to deter our pesky visitor.


 
Brandywine tomato



Splitting brandywine tomato.  I read this could be a sign of low calcium?  Added a tums in the dirt at the base of the plant to see if this would help.
 

 
Cherokee Purple tomato....And another growing behind it!

 
Ummm....dead squash plant.  Too much water???  Or maybe too many weeds!!

 
The squash plants are all having a little bit of trouble.  Leaves are turning yellow.  And we're still working on the blossom end rot.



Boy, it looks like a little watermelon, but I feel quite sure this is a cantaloupe.

 
Isabel in the garden

 
Another view.

 
Some of our harvest!  Kennebec potatoes!

 
Purple pod and Kentucky wonder green beans.

 
And not from our garden, but we did pick the blueberries and make the pie from scratch :)
Mmmmmmmm.....

 
Today I pulled out the sweet peas that were done producing and planted Emerite beans in their place.  We'll see how they do! 
Since I need so much help with the weeds, and Isabel and Ian are not so interested in weeding, I told Isabel to adopt a cantaloupe and a watermelon plant.  She must take care of them and keep them weed free and she gets to paint a rock sign to claim them as her adopted plants.  She loved the idea and it will be fun for her to monitor and care for a plant of her very own!  I think the idea of weeding everything is just too overwhelming for any of us! ;)

No comments: