This is the first year that we have officially celebrated the Feast of St. Nicholas, Bishop of Myra. Although Isabel's preschool class did celebrate last year.
What prompted me to celebrate it this year was a conversation Iz and I had in the car the other day. She was trying to ask/tell me about how Santa comes early, before Christmas and sadly, I was only half-listening. But later I remembered her saying something about her shoes and then it finally clicked in my head! She was trying to tell me about Saint Nicholas from whom modern day Santa Claus originated.
Saint Nicholas leaves golden coin chocolates in children's shoes on the night of December 5th, so that when children wake up on December 6th, his feast day, there is the special gift.
Once I realized that she had been trying to explain what she could remember about St. Nicholas, I felt awful that I had disregarded her comments!! The next morning I apologized to her for not listening well and not understanding and explained that she was right about St. Nicholas coming before Christmas.
She chose shoes to put out on the stairs last night and this morning she was very excited to check to see if St. Nicholas had been here.
So, Saint Nicholas left some silver coins in her shoes as well......can't really explain that one. And the St. Nicholas candy (that you see with the bishop's staff and miter) was a HUGE hit. That idea came from The Saint Nicholas Center as did the Saint Nicholas holy cards we made today (printable cards available here) .
So much fun and what a great way to teach her about one of God's saints!! Here is one more picture of her working on a Saint Nicholas tracing and coloring worksheet that I made.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment